It has never been so difficult to be a parent. The coronavirus pandemic has completely flipped life upside-down for people all over the world. In America, over 240,000 people have been killed by the virus, and millions of workers have been thrust into unemployment as the pandemic has ravished the US economy.
If your family has been financially affected by the coronavirus pandemic, and you are currently a stay-at-home parent, you may be struggling to make ends meet. Although you may be worried about your finances, there are some easy ways you can earn money without having to leave your house, so you can keep looking after your kids and your household while you work.
Here are some ways you can earn extra income by working from home as a stay-at-home parent.
Work out how much time you have to work
Being a stay-at-home parent has never been an easy job, but it is even more stressful right now. Not only do you have to manage a household and keep your children happy, but you now have to make sure you are protecting you and your loved ones from COVID-19. Moreover, if your children’s schools have closed in a bid to stop the spread of the virus, you may have had to start teaching your children, too.
Therefore, before you start thinking about working from home, you need to work out how many hours you can actually afford to work per week, without putting too much strain on yourself. Because, although you may need to start working, you also need to make sure that you are not putting too much pressure on your shoulders.
Once you have worked out how many hours a week you can afford to spend working, it will help you decide what sort of job you can do from home.
Write a CV
The next important step when it comes to finding a job is writing a CV. Without one, you will be very unlikely to receive any job offers. If you are a stay-at-home parent, your CV may need updating before you can send it out to potential employers, or you may never have had a resumé at all.
Writing a CV can be a daunting task for anyone, so make sure that you take the time to research how to write a successful CV. If you are still struggling to create a professional-looking resumé, consider making one through an easy to use CV builder. A CV builder will allow you to create an incredibly professional-looking CV that will stand out from the crowd, making you much more likely to get a well-paying work-from-home job.
Work out what sort of job you want
Once you have worked out how many hours you can afford to work and have created a CV, the next thing to do is to work out what sort of job you want. There are a number of different jobs you can do from home, and most of them are flexible, meaning that you can work as many hours as you want and still have time to look after your family and the household. Here are some of the most popular jobs you can do from home:
- Freelance writing: if you have a flair for writing, or are a whizz at the keyboard, freelance writing could be the perfect job. There are also some incredibly easy online courses to get you started. However, it is important to note that freelance writing won’t earn you hundreds of dollars a month, so you may not be able to manage with just this one job.
- Online tutoring: if you have gone to high school or college, you could earn a significant amount of money from teaching children online. There are lots of online services that will hire you to tutor children of different ages. Moreover, the lesson plans you create for your job can also be used to teach your own children.
- Accountancy: if you have a numerical brain, why not work as a virtual accountant? Most accountancy jobs can be done from home, and there are a variety of roles that cover all skill levels.
- Child-care: this is one of the easiest jobs you can do as a stay-at-home parent, as you can do it alongside looking after your own children. However, for this, you will need to get a license that will allow you to look after children. To qualify for licensure, you likely need to pass a background check and have an up-to-date record of immunizations. You may also need to meet a minimum training requirement and be certified in CPR.
- Virtual assistant: if you have a knack for organization, you could be earning a lot of money each month by using your skills to help small companies and businesses. Writing up notes, managing multiple projects at once and communication skills are all hugely important if you want to become a successful virtual assistant. This is a work-from-home job that could earn you around $18 per hour, but it is important to note that this is a job that requires a lot of hard work, so you will need to work out whether or not you can afford enough time to work as a successful virtual assistant.
Take time for yourself
Combine a part-time job with looking after your children full-time and you will soon find yourself with very little free time. Although working from home will mean you will be under less financial pressure, you need to make sure that you are not over-doing it. If you are struggling to juggle work and caring for your kids, make sure you take regularly scheduled breaks and have set days off where you take time for you and your family.
There are many different jobs that stay-at-home parents can do to earn more money. Hopefully, these tips will help you find the right job for your busy schedule.