This is a question that many parents ask, as they seek to provide the best possible start for their child, and in this article, we will take a look at some of the benefits that come with an international school education. Prior to that, we think it important to mention why international schools exist; which is to provide continued education to the children of foreign nationals that are working abroad, and as all international schools use either the UK or US curriculum, this means that students can continue through their academic education in a structured manner.
Here are some of the benefits to an international school education.
- Language Acquisition – Let’s take Thailand as an example, where you will find many fine international schools in Bangkok, Thailand, and a majority of the students are actually Thai, as their parents wish them to become fluent in the English language for obvious reasons. For a student in such a country, the only way to become fluent in English is to learn at a school that only uses English as the language of instruction. If you are a Thai parent who wishes for their child to have excellent career opportunities, enrol them into an international school and you won’t regret it.
- Critical Thinking Skills – Essential in the highly competitive world we live in, an international school education means that your child would develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This is thanks to the dynamic, active-learning approach that the international schools adopt. Rather than sitting in a classroom, memorising facts, the international school student plays an active role in the learning process, and this develops critical thinking, use of initiative and problem-solving skills. Project-based learning empowers the students in many ways, as they learn to work together in a team to achieve a common goal, something they will have to do when they begin work. While on the subject of education, here is an article that examines the role technology will play in our future education systems, which is a recommended read for all parents.
- Top Academic Grades – International schools strive for academic excellence, and as parents regard this as important, you can expect to see high GPA scores, with many students graduating university with honours. In order to create high achievers, the international school uses the best curriculum and hires teachers from the UK directly.
- Cultural Diversity – When you look at the many different nationalities of international school students, it is clear to see that all students benefit from being in such a multi-cultural environment, sharing beliefs, opinions and ideas. This will ensure that your child is culturally aware and a person who sees things from different perspectives.
- Environmentally Aware – The international school makes a point of connecting their students with nature, helping them to understand the fine ecological balance that must be maintained, and many learning projects would be environmentally driven, as this is a critical aspect of life that future generations must be aware of.
If you want to give your child the very best education, look no further than your nearest international school, where you can learn more about their vision and mission statements.